Interdisciplinary Approach in Concussion Management with Treatment Strategies
Date, Time, and Location
January 22nd & 23rd, 2016
Banner Concussion Center
This two day course will focus on the evaluation and treatment management of concussion from several different clinical perspectives. The presentations will emphasize a team approach to evaluating this diagnosis, including both lectures and labs to provide a greater understanding of the tools and treatment techniques used by different disciplines. Participants from all disciplines (physicians, physical therapists, occupational therapists, athletic trainers, etc.) are welcome.
- Understand the physician perspective on evaluation and treatment of concussion versus post-concussion syndrome
- Identify and understand the role of the physician in medication management of post-concussion syndrome including neuropsychiatric symptoms, physical symptoms, cognitive symptoms and sleep disturbance
- Define the role of neuro-optometry in the multi-disciplinary approach to concussion management
- Recognize visual deficits related to concussion and demonstrate appropriate treatment strategies for functional visual retraining
- Discuss evidence based practices on return to play progression models from and athletic trainer’s perspective
- Utilize evidence based practice on the evaluation and treatment of vestibular disorders related to mTBI
- Understand the use of audiology and when to utilize this service from both a physician and therapist perspective
- Identify and demonstrate appropriate treatment strategies for dizziness and balance deficits related to mTBI
- Define how education is defining best practices for cognitive rest, academic accommodations and return to learn after concussion
- Define the role of nutritional assessment and management with mTBI
Continuing education credits are available for this course! For registration information please view the conference brochure.